Weekly Art Digest | Picasso, Cubist Art Gift, China and Copyright, Louvre, Getty

12th April 2013
bullet
Laura Burnside
Picasso Child with Dove Weekly Art Digest | Picasso, Cubist Art Gift, China and Copyright, Louvre, GettyPicasso, Child with Dove

Qatar reportedly buys Picasso’s Child with a Dove (The Art Newspaper)
“The small, oil-rich Gulf state of Qatar has made another major modern art purchase. According to the French newspaper Le Figaro, the Middle Eastern state has acquired Picasso’s Child with a Dove for £50m, a work that until last year had been in a UK collection since 1924. A spokeswoman for the Qatar Museums Authority says she cannot “confirm nor deny [the acquisition]; QMA does not comment on acquisitions”.”

A Billion-Dollar Gift Gives the Met a New Perspective – Cubist (The NY Times)
“In one of the most significant gifts in the history of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the philanthropist and cosmetics tycoon Leonard A. Lauder has promised the institution his collection of 78 Cubist paintings, drawings and sculptures. The trove of signature works, which includes 33 Picassos, 17 Braques, 14 Légers and 14 works by Gris, is valued at more than $1 billion. It puts Mr. Lauder, who for years has been one of the city’s most influential art patrons, in a class with cornerstone contributors to the museum like Michael C. Rockefeller, Walter Annenberg, Henry Osborne Havemeyer and Robert Lehman.”

China gets creative with copyright (The Art Newspaper)
“A case of international plagiarism has shone a spotlight on the ineffective laws that protect artists’ work from being copied in China. The Italian sculptor Claudio Capotondi, who won the prestigious Michelangelo Prize in 2000, says he felt “robbed” when his gallery sent him a photograph of a station in Kunshan, a satellite city in the greater Suzhou region, in front of which was a giant replica of Sferosnodo, a sculpture he created in bronze in 1978 and in marble in 1983.”

Louvre closes after staff walkout over pickpockets (AFP)
“Paris’s Louvre museum closed on Wednesday due to a walkout by some staff over a rise in aggressive pickpockets including children sometimes working in gangs of up to 30, staff and management said. Disappointed tourists waited in vain in front of the famed museum, home to works of art such as the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo, which receives some 10 million visitors a year.”

Manuscript acquired by Getty prevented from leaving Britain (LA Times)
“A valuable 15th century Flemish manuscript acquired by the J.Paul Getty Museum late last year has been placed under an export embargo by British authorities, who hope to keep the object in the United Kingdom. Britain’s cultural minister Ed Vaizey has put a temporary export bar on the manuscript, known as “Roman de Gillion de Trazegnies.” The export bar will prevent the object from leaving Britain while authorities attempt to raise the money needed to keep it in the country.”